Are you a school or college leaver, or potentially looking for a change of career? If so; then please read on as we may just have the Apprentice role for you…
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
Come and join us as an Apprentice Operative at Tarmac, based at our Tunstead Plant, close to Buxton in Derbyshire. You will get hands on experience in various tasks that will help develop your skills, qualify and allow you to progress within the business!
The role is easily commutable from Buxton, Harpur Hill, Macclesfield, Stockport, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Leek, Whaley Bridge, Chapel-en-le-Firth, New Mills, Bakewell, Matlock, Darley Dale, Old Whittington, Wingerworth, Bollington and the surrounding areas.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As an Apprentice Operative you will be bringing life to our Plant Production! You will actively participate in the manufacturing process for the area of the business where you are based. This could be Concrete, Aggregate, Asphalt or Building Products. You will be a vital part of the team responsible for making sure we produce a quality product and smash our targeted volumes, and also producing new ideas to make production more efficient.
Duties may include (not exhaustive):
- Operating production equipment such as cranes, forklifts, mobile plant and fixed plant systems
- Undertaking basic maintenance and inspections on the site which you are based
- Contribute to keeping the working environment safe, ensuring our high standards are maintained
- Be a role model in your approach to Health and Safety
- Work collaboratively to build a culture of continuous improvement through teamwork and communication
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment and ensuring safety comes before anything else!
- Taking pride in all work completed and being determined to succeed!
As an Apprentice Operative life on site will involve working both inside and outside. It won’t always be glamorous and sometimes you might find yourself in a dusty or confined environment. However, your safety and health is our number one priority and full protective clothing and equipment is provided. Your colleagues are there to help and look out for each other, and safety is everyone’s responsibility.
While learning in your day-to-day role, you will complete our Professional Development Programme, giving you a good grounding to start an exciting career in our industry.
Further details of the qualification can be found here:
*Please note you must be able to travel between site and college for this apprenticeship
What you will get from us in the role of Apprentice Operative
- Your line manager and mentor will give you help and guidance throughout your apprenticeship programme
- Your Operational colleagues, who most of your daily interactions will be with will provide support and knowledge
- Health and Safety Team, always on hand to make sure we are working safely, although safety is everyone’s responsibility!
- Human Resources, here to support the development of your career with Tarmac
- Level 2 Mineral Processing – Mobile and Static Plant Operator
- Training will take place in block periods, with this being delivered at the Tarmac National Skills and Safety Park, based at Tarmac Way, Nether Langwith, NG20 9JF. The location is a purpose-built facility where all operational staff complete learning, developing the right skills and capabilities to safely complete your role
Our people come from a variety of different backgrounds and prior experience isn’t always necessary for success.
Educational Qualifications required for the role of Apprentice Operative:
GCSEs A-C or numbered equivalent (9-4) in both English and Maths
Please don’t worry if school wasn’t your thing and you are worried about these entry requirements – come and talk to us!
- Safety first mindset
- Practical and hands-on
- Enthusiastic about starting a career in the building materials industry!
- Passionate about working safely
- A team player
- Willingness to learn and develop
Salary: £15,000 Competitive + Benefits Package
Location: Buxton, Derbyshire, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/112/5165