Salary: £18198 – £18933
Shift hours: Part Time
Coventry City Council’s Library and Information Service is a public facing service operating for the benefit of local communities and the wider city.
Providing services from the central library and 16 local libraries (3 of which are community led) Coventry libraries provide a unique ‘cradle-to-grave’ service bringing individuals and communities together.
Public libraries acquire, organise and provide access to a range of information and reading resources to meet the diverse needs of a community. We actively support independent learning and encourage reader development, also providing information on areas such as:
- Local and national government services,
- Learning opportunities,
- Leisure activities, and
- Local community news and events
We also play an important role in providing access to computers and the internet for those who are digitally excluded.
The Library Service works in partnership with local, regional and national organisations to provide a full and wide-ranging service offer. Partners include:
- Arts Council England
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport
- Libraries Connected
- Public Health England, and
- Reading Agency
Libraries are uniquely placed to change lives for the better. They are busy and vibrant open spaces, not only providing access to books but also helping people to help themselves and improve their opportunities. By providing practical support and guidance, libraries play a critical role in enabling and empowering people to realise their potential, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
This is a Casual hours post, working as and when required
· First point of contact for library visitors
· Helping people to use IT
· Answering questions on a wide variety of subjects
· Participating in events and activities for example rhyme times
· Moving books around the library
· Promoting book displays
Who are we looking for?
We are we looking for someone:
· With excellent customer service skills
· Good communication skills
· A knowledge of how to use IT
· Who is resourceful and has good problem solving skills
· With the ability to participate in events
· With an eye for keeping library spaces welcoming to all
· Who wants to share their passion for books and reading
· Flexible with working patterns, available at least 3 days per week, and essential to be available on either a Saturday or a Sunday
Hours and Place of work
· Working at any of the 14 Coventry City Council Libraries across the city as and when required
· You may be called upon between the following hours, between 9.00 and 7.00 on Weekdays, 9.00 and 4.30 on Saturdays, 12.00 and 4.00 on Sundays
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled ‘Coventry City Council Application Process’
Interview date(s): Thursday 29th July and Friday 30th July 2021
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There’s a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you’re happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We’ve created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Location: Coventry, CV1 1FY