Cygnet Hospital Beckton is a service for women with complex mental health needs. Situated in the East End of London, the hospital has four different specialist wards including mental health with learning disability, personality disorder and ACUTE.
We are currently recruiting for a part-time Kitchen Assistant to assist in the efficient preparation, service and distribution of meals to patients, staff and visitors providing a quality service of meals, snacks and beverages, using agreed recognized Catering, hygiene and safety practices, methods and procedures, under the supervision of the Duty / Head Chef depending on the duties allocated.
You will work 24 hours per week, 3 days a week covering 9.30am to 6pm and must be flexible to work across a 7 day rota including weekends and Bank Holidays.
The role requires a person to be on their feet for an 8hr shift and need to transport the food trolley to ward.
In this role you’ll:
- Prepare simple meals i.e. vegetables and salad items for service under the direction of the Chef. Prepare ancillary items for service such as bread.
- Wash dishes by hand or place them in the dishwasher. Wash pots, pans, and trays. Store clean items neatly and safely to minimise breakages.
- Sweep and mop kitchen floors, keeping them free from grease or spillage at all times.
- Wash work tables, walls and kitchen equipment and appliances in accordance with cleaning schedules. Sign off cleaning schedule on completion of tasks.
- Transfer supplies and equipment between storage and work areas.
- Operate all kitchen equipment within competence safely and in accordance with instructions.
- Segregate and remove rubbish and place it in designated containers.
- Put supplies away in the correct place and lock storerooms and cupboards. Leave kitchen tidy, clean and secure.
- Comply with company policy in terms of Food Safety and Health and Safety, completing and storing all records as outlined in the food policy HACCP.
- Be aware of, implement and maintain company procedures and processes as appropriate.
- Perform such other duties as may be reasonably required.
We’re looking for people who have:
- Experience of working in a fast pace commercial kitchen
- Food and Hygiene qualification desirable though training will be given
- Practical ability of preparing simple meals.
- Must be fluent in the English Language both written and verbal
- Excellent customer services skills
- Be a good communicator and able to liaise with people at all levels.
- Knowledge of maintaining a clean, tidy, safe and hygienic environment.
- Ability to work well within a team
In return we’ll offer you:
- Paid Holiday
- NHS Discounts and Blue Light Card
- A package of support for staff health and wellbeing
- DBS paid
- Opportunity to undertake further learning with our excellent apprenticeship scheme
- Susidised meals
- Company pension scheme
- Company paid Life Assurance scheme
- Smart Health Toolkit- Providing you with Fitness Programmes, Nutrition consultation and
- Health Cash Plan
Please note: successful candidates will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
Job Reference: CYG35035