Salary: £21,378 per annum
Shift hours: Full Time
We are seeking a Pharmacy Assistant with excellent attention to detail to work within our healthcare team. Based in HMP Peterborough, you will have the opportunity to make a difference to the health, well-being and rehabilitation of offenders within the establishment. You will under the guidance of the Pharmacy Technicians and Pharmacists, assist in the provision of a safe, efficient and cost-effective pharmaceutical service to residents.
The position involves working alongside the doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals to provide an integrated healthcare service. You will hold NVQ Level 2, BTEC or equivalent and be able to work well within a team.
HMP/YOI Peterborough is the country’s only purpose-built prison for both male and female prisoners (kept separate at all times), including a 12-place mother and baby unit. We are committed to offering education and development programmes to provide residents with the skills required to enter employment on release, so reducing the chances of further offending. Providing creative outlets, such as workshop activities, helps to equip those in custody for when they are released. We use ‘Restorative Approaches’ to bring people in conflict into dialogue. Using a skilled and structured process, those who have been harmed have an opportunity to be heard and those that have caused the harm are held to account for what they have done. We have strong links with the community outside through a variety of partnerships, including our outreach activity Outside Links’ offering support and advice to both residents and their families.
- Assist with general pharmacy duties and stock management within the actual prison pharmacy environment
- Work as an active member of the pharmacy team to ensure delivery of a legal, safe, high quality specialist prison pharmacy service which reflects national and local policy and priorities, considering the high level of security that must always be maintained
- Assist in the provision of a timely and efficient pharmacy service to the treatment areas on prison wings
- Have awareness of the location of medicine related policies, procedures and clinical guidelines with the prison
- Receive prescriptions and stock returns from wing based clinical areas
- Collect orders from suppliers from the main gate and arrange collection of returns
- Ensure procedures relating to good pharmacy practices are followed and high standards are maintained
- Participate in the efficient day to day running of the Pharmacy Department and assisting the senior team members when required
- Work with the Pharmacist and pharmacy technician to ensure the service is always represented by staff in a professional manner
- Have an awareness of medicines management and medicines optimisation
Please see attached job description for further information regarding the role requirements.
- Experience within a pharmacy environment
- No professional registration required
- NVQ Level 2, BTEC or equivalent
- Attention to detail and able to work in a pressurised environment
- Computer literacy: be able to use computer systems, equipment and programmes with the healthcare department
- Able to work well within a team
- Experience of working in a custodial environment
Location: HMP Peterborough, Saville Road, Westwood, Peterborough, England