At Engine by Starling, we are on a mission to find and work with leading banks all around the world who have the ambition to build rapid growth businesses, on our technology.
Engine is Starling’s software-as-a-service (SaaS) business, the technology that was built to power Starling Bank, and two years ago we split out as a separate business.
Starling Bank has seen exceptional growth and success, and a large part of that is down to the fact that we have built our own modern technology from the ground up. This SaaS technology platform is now available to banks and financial institutions all around the world, enabling them to benefit from the innovative digital features, and efficient back-office processes that has helped achieve Starling’s success.
We draw upon our experience as knowledgeable bankers, and best in class technologists to become the chosen option for these banks, and preferred partners for leading consultancies.
We are on a mission to find and work with leading banks all around the world who have the ambition to build rapid growth businesses, on our technology. We are looking for future leaders to come and join our team, to build client relationships, and work with them to understand their needs and how we can solve them with Engine’s technology.
We have a Hybrid approach to working here at Engine – our preference is that you’re located within a commutable distance of one of our offices so that we’re able to interact and collaborate in person. We don’t like to mandate how much you visit the office and work from home, that’s to be agreed upon between you and your manager.
Some travel (including international) may be necessary depending on the client and nature of the engagement.
About the role
This is a management role in the Product & Technology Proposition function of Engine. The team as a whole is responsible for ensuring Engine is designed to meet the needs of clients and their local markets, designing changes to improve our SaaS offering in ways which are useful across multiple clients.
The team owns the product roadmap, develops new propositions, researching local markets, potential ecosystems and understanding the competition.
With a prospect, you will lead the client through a ‘discovery phase’, demonstrating Engine’s capabilities and understanding client / market localisation needs, to design the client’s solution and discover the product changes and integrations required for implementation.
In a client implementation, you may be supporting your team in designing and documenting required product changes, and providing training support as the functional owners for Engine’s capabilities.
You’ll work closely with both the business development team, the engineering team and the delivery team on a combination of product strategy, product development and business development related work.
What you’ll get to to:
You will be leading on projects across qualified sales, product development and proposition strategy
- Managing a small team of product consultants who will develop specialisms in areas of the product
- Running discovery phases with the client, to understand client and market localisation needs, working closely with the business development team
- Running strategic projects to develop new propositions, research new markets and potential ecosystems and the competition, to develop out a competitive SaaS product
- Ensuring the product is well documented in a way that makes it easy for implementations
- Working with implementation teams to understand the evolving needs of clients, and designing the product in a way that meets the needs of many clients, not just an individual one.
- Doing the doing of the above as well as supporting your team. We are a small team and are looking for people who like to get into the detail as well as manage
You’re a leader who both enjoys strategic thinking, and getting into the detail. You enjoy problem solving, and can adapt your style to both client facing work, and working internally with engineering functions. You will understand how clients can make the best use of our product, whilst designing ways to improve it.
About your experience
- Consultancy experience and/or technology delivery experience in a client facing role
- Management experience, running small teams, developing and coaching others
- Financial Services knowledge, ideally in retail banking
- Experience in developing new product/propositions
- Experience leading client workshops
- Technical aptitude, with experience of technology delivery
Interviewing is a two way process and we want you to have the time and opportunity to get to know us, as much as we are getting to know you! Our interviews are conversational and we want to get the best from you, so come with questions and be curious. In general you can expect the below, following a chat with one of our Talent Team:
- 45 mins with some of our other Senior Product Consultants
- 60 mins with our Chief Product Officer and some other members of the team
- 30 mins with Engine by Starling’s CEO
- 33 days holiday (including public holidays, which you can take when it works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Incentives refer a friend scheme
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
You may be put off applying for a role because you don’t tick every box. Forget that! While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re always open to discussion. So, if you’re excited about working with us, but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet, get in touch anyway. We’re on a mission to radically reshape banking – and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we’re proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. When you provide us with this information, you are doing so at your own consent, with full knowledge that we will process this personal data in accordance with our Privacy Notice.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.