At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
Are you an experienced Technician? Do you enjoy the flexibility of planning your own workload? Would you like the opportunity to upskill to ISO 17025 UKAS certified testing?
We are currently looking for a Site Technician (Road Surfacing) to join our friendly team within Tarmac’s South West & Wales region based out of our Llanwern Works, near Newport. This is a hybrid role sharing duties between on-site testing within the region and testing within Tarmac’s laboratory at Llanwern, near Newport, South Wales. As well as Newport, this role is easily accessible from Cardiff, Bristol, Gloucester and the surrounding areas (company van is provided).
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Reporting directly to the Technical Coordinator the role of Site Technician (Road Surfacing) will work as part of a small, highly skilled team, responsible for sampling and testing of various asphalt products supplied to Tarmac road surfacing sites across the region. The role of Site Technician (Road Surfacing) will also be responsible for:
- Working within an ISO 17025 UKAS certified testing laboratory testing asphalt, including density and air voids
- Sampling and testing asphalt on road surfacing sites to a UKAS standard, including density readings, temperature measurements, rolling straight edge and 3 metre beam testing, amongst others
- Test procedures – ensuring testing procedures are fully documented, understood and communicated to comply with British standard where required and have the correct equipment available in calibration
- Results and trend analysis and data input of results
- Informing Technical Coordinator when quality standards are being compromised and take appropriate action to rectify quality issues
- Adhering to company Health and Safety procedures at all times with testing carried out to the highest safety standards and within your manual handling capabilities
The ideal candidate for the role of Site Technician (Road Surfacing) will have prior experience gained working to ISO 17025 UKAS standards on both asphalt paving sites and within a laboratory environment, preferably within the construction sector. You will also possess knowledge of asphalt testing, production and laying.
This role is not a typical ‘lab coat’ laboratory type of role – it is a vital hands-on site-based role, working in a small team closely supporting several of our major projects across the region.
Suitable candidates for the role of Site Technician (Road Surfacing) will be:
- Hard working and self-motivated
- Confident in planning their workload
- Flexible to travel to multiple sites and cover ad hoc night shifts, or weekend working when required sometimes at short notice (overtime paid)
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and liaise with stakeholders at all levels
- Focused with strong attention to detail and able to identify potential risks/issues (training will also provided)
- Comfortable working independently and also collaborating as part of a team across Tarmac sites
- IT literate
- Familiar with UKAS / ISO17025 requirements (preferred)
- Experienced in asphalt testing (preferred)
- Confident in their numerical aptitude (handling calculations and interpreting test results)
- Health and Safety conscious
- Up to date CSCS card (advantageous)
Salary: Excellent Salary + Company van + Overtime + Bonus + Benefits
Location: Newport, Gwent, Wales
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/40135/5043