Salary: Competitive & option to earn overtime
Shift hours: Full Time
We currently have an opportunity for a Waste Operative to join our team. This is a great opportunity for a customer focused individual to join a world leading food and facilities management company, which can offer unrivalled opportunities for career progression.
Be willing to be trained in all aspects of the waste co-ordination activities and responsibilities and any required waste of safety & environmental legislative training courses.
Assist the Waste Manager with:
- Collection, co-ordination, control and loading of waste consignments
- Help supervise the movement of waste skips and FEL bins
- Operative will supervise waste loads being discharged to road tankers on a regular weekly basis as well as assisting with loading flatbed vehicles with palletised waste
- To assist in the compliance of the site waste management procedures and escalate to the waste manager any site issues concerning waste
- To deputise for waste manager during absence and ensure periods of absence do not overlap where possible
- Labelling wastes as necessary in compliance with current site procedures, hazardous and other waste regulations and road transport regulations with respect to dangerous goods by road etc
- Planning and arranging on site storage of packaged wastes, such wastes to be recorded in readiness for consignment from site.
- To work in close conjunction with the Waste Manager and production departments to help ascertain future waste arisings
- Help arrange that all sub-contractors / hauliers attend site at the agreed or prescribed time to ensure that no delays or interruptions to the Client’s main business is experienced
- Assist with ensuring that adequate and safe information is given to the sub-contractors / hauliers for the load to be consigned and that the correct tremcards or other emergency instructions are issued
- Help to ensure that all traffic / waste movements are fully recorded, and records maintained of all waste consignments to and from the Client site – so as to satisfy the Hazardous Waste Regulations requirements for keeping of waste registers (Consignment notes)
- Help to arrange for the sampling and analysing wastes as appropriate
- To help deal efficiently and effectively with any requests / concerns / complaints from client
- Assistance with completion of associated COSHH assessments and risk assessments; implementation of suitable control measures and timely review of risk assessments
- Help to produce waste reports and provision of key performance indicators (KPIs) and waste movement metrics to management.
- Help with the administrative burden within the waste management processes, paperwork, compliance processes, QA & documentation, using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook email and SAP database.
- To develop a working knowledge of company policy and procedures, along side the client’s policies & protocols
- Use of fork lift truck and willing to be trained in any skill gaps within driving and operating a fork lift truck and in banksmen duties
- Carry out routine tasks on a daily/weekly basis as defined by the Waste Manager
- Undertake training which may be required to fulfil duties
- Carry out duties in accordance with company procedures
- Review each task on completion to ensure the required standards have been adhered to
- Keep equipment and supplies clean and in good working order, store
- Ensure duties are carried out in accordance with site and company H&S requirements and procedures.
- Keep work and rest areas clean and tidy.
- Ensure that a clean uniform is worn at all times.
- To undergo continuous training and development relevant to both the company and the client site.
Hygiene, Health and Safety
- Comply with all Company & Client policies, site rules and statutory regulations relating to Health & Safety, safe working practices, hygiene, cleanliness, fire and COSHH. This will include your awareness of any specific hazards in your work place and training of staff.
- Understand and comply with all relevant waste legislation
Personnel and Training
- To attend a PDR with your Line Manager and to agree and take ownership of your training and development needs.
- Attend Company and Legislative Training Courses as requested.
- To take adequate steps to ensure the security of Company and Client property and monies under your control
- Maintain good client and colleague relationships
- Ensure that all written communication represents a professional image to customers, clients and staff.
- Action customer complaints by escalating to your line manager where necessary.
- Comply with any reasonable instruction from your line manager within the agreed deadline.
- Comply with all Company policies/procedures and client site rules and regulations.
- Carry out other reasonable tasks as directed by management.
- To organise and manage ad hoc activities promptly and efficiently.
- Minimum GCSE level education
- Full driving licence with at least 2 years driving experience
- Ability to work without supervision as well as part of a team
- Willingness and aptitude to be trained in any skills gap & positive approach to learning in role
- Good awareness and understanding of health, safety and environmental
- Minimum IOSH Working Safely or equivalent safety accreditation
- Good computer literacy and operation of Microsoft Word, Excel and databases
- Good administration skills
- Self-motivated and flexible approach to role
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients, and staff
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Experience of working within a waste, industrial, manufacturing or pharma environment
- Experience of understanding stock movements and/or SAP
- Fork lift truck operator (or willingness and aptitude to be trained)
- Compliance or QA experience
Location: Horsham, England