At Engine by Starling, we are on a mission to find and work with leading banks all around the world who have the ambition to build rapid growth businesses, on our technology. Engine is the technology that was built to power Starling Bank, and a year ago we split out as a separate business. In that time, Engine has made great strides in the market, and we are quickly becoming front of mind for ambitious banks, and forward thinking consultancies.
We draw upon our experience as knowledgeable bankers, and best in class technologists to become the chosen option for these banks, and preferred partners for leading consultancies.
As a company, everyone is expected to roll up their sleeves to help deliver great outcomes for our clients. We are an engineering led company and we’re looking for someone who will be excited by the potential for Engine’s technology to transform banking in different markets around the world.
Our technologists are at the very heart of Engine and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that is all about building things, creating new stuff, and disruptive technology that keeps us on the cutting edge of fintech. We operate a flat structure to empower you to make decisions regardless of what your primary responsibilities may be, innovation and collaboration will be at the core of everything you do. Help is never far away in our open culture, you will find support in your team and from across the business, we are in this together!
The way to thrive and shine within Engine is to be a self-driven individual and be able to take full ownership of everything around you: From building things, designing, and discovering to sharing knowledge with your colleagues and making sure all processes are efficient and productive to deliver the best possible results for our customers. Our purpose is underpinned by five values: Listen, Keep It Simple, Do The Right Thing, Own It, and Aim For Greatness.
We have a Hybrid approach to working here at Engine – our preference is that you’re located within a commutable distance of our offices so that we’re able to interact and collaborate in person. We don’t like to mandate how much you visit the office and work from home, that’s to be agreed upon between you and your manager.
About Engineering at Engine by Starling – https://www.enginebystarling.com/
We’re looking for iOS Engineers to work on the Engine Platform and make our existing features work for banks all over the world as well as building new features from scratch that Starling hasn’t released in the UK market.
Engine by Starling engineers are excited about helping us deliver new features, regardless of what their primary tech stack may be. Hear from the team in our latest Blogs or our case studies with Women in Tech.
We are looking for engineers at all levels to join the team. We value people being engaged and caring about customers, caring about the code they write and the contribution they can make to banking around the world. People with a broad ability to apply themselves to a multitude of problems and challenges, who can work across teams do great things here at Engine, to continue changing banking for good.
As an Engineer you will:
- Contribute to our award winning platform and internal tooling
- Build new features and products from scratch in a configurable way
- Share your knowledge with those around you, contributing to our learning culture
- Own your projects, working in small teams across the bank to collaboratively deliver
- Aim for greatness in everything you do, staying curious and inquisitive
- Be part of a scaling team and organisation as we change banking for good
Our iOS application is entirely written in Swift. It is highly modular and we use MVVM-C architecture to maximise code reusability and testing. We also value simplicity over complexity, fewer moving parts means fewer faults and easier comprehension.
Some of the well known frameworks and tools we use:
- RxSwift – as our reactive programming framework;
- SnapKit – as our auto layout DSL, though we have an in-house framework built on top of SnapKit which allows us to write declarative, SwiftUI like layout code for UIKit.
- Realm – as the application main persistence layer;
- Sourcery and SwiftGen – for various code generation tasks.
- SwiftFormat, SwiftLint and Danger – to enforce high code quality standards.
We also built in-house tools and frameworks as developer productivity and automation is paramount to us.
We are looking for iOS engineers to work on these apps who:
- Want to work on a feature rich mobile app with millions of customers;
- Can produce robust, well tested code that will give our customers the reliability that they need;
- Care about the product, the user experience and the design;
- Think (like us) that a small number of empowered developers is the right way to deliver software;
- Our application is built with UIKit, knowing its concepts and components is a must.
- We use RxSwift in our project, experience with reactive programming will be a plus but is not required.
Interviewing is a two way process and we want you to have the time and opportunity to get to know us, as much as we are getting to know you! Our interviews are conversational and we want to get the best from you, so come with questions and be curious. In general you can expect the below, following a chat with one of our Talent Team:
- First interview: ~45 minutes
- Take home technical test (no time limit)
- Technical face to face: ~2 hours
- Final Interview: ~45 minutes
- 33 days holiday (including public holidays, which you can take when it works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Incentives refer a friend scheme
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
You may be put off applying for a role because you don’t tick every box. Forget that! While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re always open to discussion. So, if you’re excited about working with us, but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.We’re on a mission to radically reshape banking – and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we’re proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. When you provide us with this information, you are doing so at your own consent, with full knowledge that we will process this personal data in accordance with our Privacy Notice.By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.