Hello, we’re Starling. We built a new kind of bank because we knew technology had the power to help people save, spend and manage their money in a new and transformative way. We’re a fully licensed UK bank with the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive tech company. We’re a bank, but better: fairer, easier to use and designed to demystify money for everyone. We employ more than 3,000 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff and Manchester offices.
Our technologists are at the very heart of Starling and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that is all about building things, creating new stuff, and disruptive technology that keeps us on the cutting edge of fintech. We operate a flat structure to empower you to make decisions regardless of what your primary responsibilities may be, innovation and collaboration will be at the core of everything you do. Help is never far away in our open culture, you will find support in your team and from across the business, we are in this together!
The way to thrive and shine within Starling is to be a self-driven individual and be able to take full ownership of everything around you: From building things, designing, discovering, to sharing knowledge with your colleagues and making sure all processes are efficient and productive to deliver the best possible results for our customers. Our purpose is underpinned by five Starling values: Listen, Keep It Simple, Do The Right Thing, Own It, and Aim For Greatness.
About the role
Our Technology Operations team is the first line of support for Starling Bank, both internally for our colleagues and externally for our technology partners. We look after all the technical queries in our primarily Apple Mac estate that our employees and external partners raise on a daily basis, supporting the critical infrastructure of the bank, alongside the day to day needs of our teams.
In this role, you’ll get the opportunity to really understand the core functionality of the bank, working closely with our internal teams and key suppliers. It’s very important to us at Starling Bank that staff have the best possible experience with the technology they use on a daily basis.
We run both Macs and Windows, with a majority of our users running Macs, supplemented by a number of SaaS applications. Our computers are managed by a combination of Jamf and Intune, and sit on our Meraki network. We have zero physical infrastructure on site barring networking, so you won’t find Active Directory here. Externally, we support the relationships we have with key suppliers, payment schemes and banking partners; triaging and escalating as needed.
We enable our customers to manage their money 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Whenever they need us, we will be there. As such, we are looking for people who can commit to 37.5 hours a week between 7am-10pm Monday to Sunday.
As a Technology Operations Analyst, you’ll be the face of support for technology for all staff at the bank, assisting with hybrid support for our colleagues and external partners, whilst sharing solutions that improve technology outcomes for all.
You also will:
- Provide 1st line technology support/security issues raised in Slack, email and face-to-face office interactions.
- Facilitate onboarding training for new employees: ensuring staff have access to the equipment, software and services they need to work efficiently.
- Help the team to manage asset inventory, procurement, repairs, auditing and licensing.
- Computer hardware provisioning from returned stock.
- Arrange collection of leavers hardware.
- Perform daily office equipment checks, ensuring all conference rooms are fully functional at the start of each day. Check display TVs are working properly.
The ideal candidate for the role would:
- Have deep knowledge and experience of supporting mainly Apple Mac environments, including MacOS, Jamf etc., as well as Windows
- Have previous experience working in a first line support role in a Mac environment
- Adept at coping in a technically complex and fast-changing environment
- An interest in and suitable understanding of Starling’s technology.
- Exposure to incident management processes is beneficial.
- Be able to succinctly communicate basic technology issues to other members of the Workplace Technology team.
- Be able to talk non-technical staff members through troubleshooting steps
- Be organised, efficient and have a great attention to detail
- Work with other members of the Workplace Technology and Security teams to apply solutions to problems.
- Assist in the maintenance of our knowledge base to enable colleagues to self service their support needs.
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Incentives refer a friend scheme
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
You may be put off applying for a role because you don’t tick every box. Forget that! While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re always open to discussion. So, if you’re excited about working with us, but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.We’re on a mission to radically reshape banking – and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we’re proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. When you provide us with this information, you are doing so at your own consent, with full knowledge that we will process this personal data in accordance with our Privacy Notice.By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.